Gua Sha is a traditional Chinese therapy that involves using a smooth-edged tool to gently scrape the skin's surface. In a Gua Sha routine, the tool is applied to the skin with light to medium pressure to promote blood circulation and release tension.
Gua Sha can offer various benefits, including improved blood circulation, reduced muscle tension, increased lymphatic drainage, and enhanced absorption of skincare products. It also helps to promote a healthy glow, reduce puffiness, and alleviate facial tension.
For most people, incorporating Gua Sha into their skincare routine 2 to 3 times per week is sufficient to see noticeable results. However, you can adjust the frequency based on your skin's needs and sensitivity, but it's essential not to overdo it to avoid irritation.
Gua Sha is commonly used on the face, neck, and shoulders, but it can also be applied to other parts of the body like the back and legs. The technique varies depending on the area, with lighter, more delicate strokes on the face and firmer, longer strokes on the larger body areas.
- Cleanse your face thoroughly and apply a facial oil or serum to provide lubrication for the tool.
- Start with gentle upward strokes on your neck and jawline, moving towards the cheeks and forehead.
- Use light pressure and smooth strokes, making sure to cover the entire face.
- Pay extra attention to areas with tension or puffiness, such as the jawline and under the eyes.
- After the routine, apply your regular moisturizer or additional skincare products if desired.
- Clean your Gua Sha tool with warm soapy water and pat it dry for the next use.